With modern DJ software tools, it is now possible to DJ virtually any MIDI controller out there.
However, as a professional DJ, you will still require a robust and versatile DJ controller hardware that has been built specifically for your mixing needs.
There is plenty of DJing equipment out there that you can use to recreate the unique feel of the traditional mixers, turntables, and the CDJs.
You could also opt for a modern pad device that you can hook to your computer or iPad to simulate the overall workflow along with the traditional DJ setup.
A DJ controller enables you to accomplish various tasks including mixing, scratching, control effects manipulation, sample triggering, and much more.
You can use your DJ controller to sample the music library on your computer or mobile device.
In this article, we look at some of the best selections of DJ controllers that can offer you seamless integrations with any of your preferred iPad mixing software to help get you on board with your library or tracks.
The controllers that we have covered in this overview are only those that have been designed for digital DJs with laptops or iPads so we have not included the CDJs as well as the many other timecode systems.
Whether you are a professional DJ looking to upgrade their gear or a novice who is just starting out in the world of DJ controllers, you will find a DJ controller for iPad here that should suit both your requirements and budget.
Traktor Kontrol S2 Mk3
Native Instruments’ Traktor Kontrol S2 Mk3 is an impressive DJ controller that is both portable and durable. If you are looking to DJ with an iPad, this will be an excellent choice.
It is a super-intuitive DJ controller that is also perfect for beginners.
Of course, this being Traktor hardware, it ships with the stable and reliable Traktor DJ 2 software which a reputation for reliability and robustness.
The Traktor DJ 2 software offers you plenty of features that you can work with as well as a vast range of layouts to choose based on your preferences.
The software also provides you with seamless integration with Soundcloud Go+.
To top it all, you also get the full Traktor Pro 3 with lots of advanced options and which also enables you to transition to the more advanced controllers from Native Instruments.
Things are also good on the hardware side of things.
The S2 Mk3 gives you a smooth-flowing hands-on control.
This DJ controller also has excellent quality performance pads.
Additionally, you get a microphone input as well as song management functionality that gives you direct integration with iTunes among other nifty features and functionalities.
The Traktor Kontrol S2 Mk3 works seamlessly with both iPhone and iPad.
A winning edge with purchasing Native Instruments controllers is that you get lots of options to scale up the Traktor software and get more advanced functionality by incorporating more add-ons to the setup.
This is particularly important if you are a beginner and just learning the ropes.
Once you have a Traktor controller, you can master it and literally grow with it to the advanced levels as you hone your skills.
- The S2 Mk3 has a solid and rugged design so it can withstand some bumps here and there when you are carrying it around.
- It has a superb professional layout that will work for both new and experienced DJs. New DJs who get their induction with the S2 Mk3 will be able to easily make a transition onto more advanced gear. If you are an experienced DJ, you will find the gear in this controller almost intuitive to use.
- It comes with an included Traktor Pro 3 software. This is a fully-featured DJ software that has excellent compatibility with the broad range of NI controllers.
- Excellent compatibility with iOS so you can seamlessly use it with an iPad. With the Traktor Pro 3, you get a fully-featured desktop software as well as a portable iOS software, practically the best of both worlds.
- In spite of its relatively small size, it has large size jogwheels that are highly responsive and will work beautifully if you want to do some scratching routines. The build quality of the jogwheels is also superb.
- While this is a versatile small DJ controller, it operates inside a closed Traktor ecosystem so you won’t use it with any other software. That can have its drawbacks.
Pioneer DDJ-WeGO 4
This black DJ controller is one of the best Pioneer DJ controllers for iPad.
It is a DJ controller that is specifically designed for the DJs on the go.
If you are looking for a portable all-in-one DJ controller that delivers excellent performance, this should meet your requirements.
It is powered by a USB bus and features a built-in audio interface that has both 1/8” and ¼” headphone jacks for use in monitoring.
It also features a single pair of RCA outputs for use in connecting the DJ controller to a PA system.
The WeGO 4 is built with a convenient shelf that will support your iPhone or iPad at a good viewing angle.
The Pioneer DDJ-WeGO 4 Digital DJ Controller also ships with the Virtual DJ Limited Edition Software and rekordbox DJ for both Windows and Mac.
If you will be using it with an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch, it also includes WeDJ for iOS for you.
You can use the included AC power adapter to charge your connected iOS devices when using this DJ controller.
The Pioneer DD-WeGO 4 has a space-saving and compact layout and the more experienced DJs might find this design a little toy-like but it will work perfectly for beginners or professional DJs who won’t mind the size.
- This is a very lightweight and compact controller that is well-suited for the DJs on the go. It is so small and compact that you can carry it in your laptop bag or backpack.
- The WeGO 4 is built for mobile use and even features an iPad Dock. This dedicated docking area for iOS devices is part of the lineup of features it offers that give you easy integration with iPhones and iPads. You won’t need a separate stand or docking station for your iPads when you are using them with this controller.
- The WeGO 4 offers you two neutral color choices – black and white -so it will easily match any of your existing gear.
- It comes with great software selection including Virtual DJ LE and rekordbox DJ. You can also use it with various iOS and Android apps thereby giving you seamless integration with a cross-section of tools and platforms.
- The WeGO 4 has an unusual design that is dissimilar from that of the regular DJ controllers so if you start with this controller, it will be harder adjusting to other DJ controller gear.
- You will find its Low and Hi EQ options a little limiting.
Pioneer DDJ 200
Pioneer decks are a ubiquitous presence in the DJing landscape and the Pioneer DDJ-200 is the cheapest in its line of DJ controllers.
This is a super compact and smart controller that you can easily connect to your phone or even laptop via USB or Bluetooth.
You can even get your music from any streaming-compatible mobile DJ app or load your own tracks from your laptop or phone and use this DJ controller to mix them online.
This controller is particularly suited for a beginner who doesn’t use a PC or laptop.
It offers seamless and smart integration with a number of apps.
There is never a dearth of choices when it comes to the DDJ-200.
It is not very robust but it is rugged and sturdy enough that you can afford to haul it around on your bumpy rides to the gigs.
The Pioneer DDJ-200 can also connect to various music streaming services including Spotify, Beatport LINK, Deezer, and Soundcloud Go+.
- This is a neat and sturdy DJ controller with lots of functionality.
- It packs a lot of features within a very affordable package.
- It offers both USB and Bluetooth connectivity.
- Comes with Rekordbox and WeDJ that can offer beginners a good start into the world of DJ software tools.
- It is an affordable option and the cheapest in Pioneer’s line of DJ controllers.
- A beginner-friendly DJ controller with lots of tutorials to help you get past your first mixes. Very ideal for someone who is new to DJing.
- It is not equipped with basic volume controls.
- WeDJ doesn’t support Android music streaming but if you are looking for an iPad DJ controller, then it will suit your requirements.
- Has 3.5mm Aux connections that limit your range of speaker compatibility.
If you are a complete beginner just getting inducted into the world of DJ controllers, then this will be a great choice. It is also ideal for small parties or DJing in the home environment.
Traktor Kontrol S3
You get a good deal of flexibility with the Traktor Kontrol S3 DJ controller.
This piece if hardware also ships with a full version software that you can use to connect it to a laptop or PC and access its full range of features.
The Kontrol S3 is also quite portable so it is the kind of DJ gear that you can carry with you to gigs.
You won’t have to worry about hauling heavy computers along as it is fully compatible with an iPad through Traktor DJ 2.
Overall, this is a very versatile iPad DJ controller.
It is slightly bigger, though, and may not fit into a standard-sized backpack.
- This is a robust 4-channel controller that you can use to mix more than two tracks simultaneously. You will need the Traktor Pro 3 software to accomplish this.
- It gives you plenty of connection options as it can handle various output types. This will be particularly helpful when you want to take the controller to other settings and plug into other people’s sound systems.
- It has long pitch faders which are perfect for doing those fine adjustments to the BPM of the song tracks being played. You can use this to easily learn and execute beatmatching.
- The design of the Traktor Kontrol S3 has been revamped and it now looks quite attractive. It has a sleek and professional look making it a great piece of gear for professional DJs. Both the pads and buttons have elegant colors.
- With the Traktor DJ 2 iOS app for iPads, you get to use only two channels. Four channels give you more flexible creative options.
Traktor Kontrol Z1
The Traktor Kontrol Z1 is a super-refined and highly portable DJ controller setup for the Traktor DJ 2 and Traktor Pro 3.
If you are after an elegant full mixer without much of the fluff, this would be an excellent choice.
It is a highly portable two-channel mixer.
In spite of its refined and simple interface, it includes all the fundamental basics you need for professional mixing.
The portability makes it a suitable choice for traveling DJs.
It also offers excellent integration with iOS devices so you can easily use this with your iPad or iPhone.
Connecting it to your iPad will be a simple plug and play enabling you to easily set it up for your DJing gigs.
It is also small enough to fit in a satchel or backpack so you can slip it in your packs alongside your iPads and take it with you to your gigs.
The Z1 also features large and high-end buttons, encoders, and knobs that give you very good control of your digital setup.
Set up is easy, fast, and intuitive thanks to the Z1 simple plug-and-play connectivity.
It works perfectly with the corresponding Traktor software so you can plug it in and you can immediately begin doing your mixes with its hands-on control.
It produces premium quality and club-ready sound and will serve you well on your DJing gigs in different kinds of setups.
- The small form factor is a huge plus. The Traktor Kontrol Z1 is not built with performance pads, jogwheels, and some other common bells and whistles found in the other DJ controllers which has slimmed down its form factor considerably. The controller is not only more compact but also lightweight which makes it highly portable and suitable for use with an iPad. If you are a traveling DJ, this will be a convenient DJ controller to have. It is small and compact enough that you can fit it in your laptop bag or backpack.
- The Z1 is built with an integrated sound card for premium sound quality. You won’t have to route your sound through an iPad so if you have a pair of excellent speakers, you can simply connect it to the Z1.
- The build quality is excellent. The DJ controller has a rugged and durable design that allows you to easily transport and take it through the ups and downs of travel as you go from gig to gig.
- The knobs are pro-quality and comfortably spaced out and it features pro-grade faders and backlit buttons that allows for solid handling, even for a beginner.
- The Z1 has excellent compatibility with other DJ controller gear. This versatility enables you to plug in extra components to the controller to bring on board the extra mixing options. You can plug in an X1 unit for the effects, loops, and cue points or the F1 unit for the remix decks to get more creative mixing options. However, these options are not available for the Traktor DJ iOS app which is a big minus if you are purchasing this controller primarily for use with an iPad.
- The mixing interface features a three-band EQ along with a built-in soundcard.
- With the jog wheels and performance pads missing in your mixing, the Z1 can be limiting. If you want to do some scratching, you will have no other option than to try out other controllers.
The Numark DJ2GO2 is an ultra-portable and affordable DJ controller for iPad.
This is the old model but it is widely popular with many seasoned DJs and beginners.
Packing up all the critical DJ tools needed to mix, it is good value for money.
This is a DJ controller that is built for the traveling DJ; it is literally made-to-move thanks to its solid and rugged design.
No matter your needs, the DJ2GO2 is a DJ controller that can go the mile.
The DJ2GO2 also features a built-in soundcard and offers simple plug-and-play functionality.
There is an included Serato DJ intro which is upgrade-ready.
In spite of its tiny size, it offers you really good creative potential right from the word to go.
The DJ2GO2 will suit both beginners and seasoned veterans.
If you are a beginner looking for an iPad DJ controller, this is just the right gear with which to hone your skills or prep yourself for gigs.
- An ultra-portable pint-sized DJ controller for iPad that is built for traveling DJs.
- Versatile enough to be used by both beginners and veterans.
- Built-in audio interface with a soundcard.
- Packs in all the bells and whistles that you would want in a DJ controller including a jogwheel, performance pad controls, headphone cueing, pitch faders, and a crossfader.
- Comes with included Serato DJ Lite.
- A two-channel DJ controller can be limiting for professionals.
Pioneer DDJ 400
Power and simplicity characterize the DDJ 400 controller making it a great choice for beginners.
The design closely mimics those of the professional Pioneer club CDJs in the market so you won’t have much trouble transitioning to the serious stuff if you start with this.
It is a 2-channel DJ controller that ships with a licensed rekordbox DJ software bundle.
It also packs a lot of bells and whistles that you would find in a pro-grade DJ software so it is a perfect tool to comfortably hone your skills with.
These include features such as the CDJ-style looping controls, cue buttons, and Beat FX among others.
If this is your first DJ controller, you will easily make an organic transition into the more advanced DJ gear once you are ready to progress to the big league.
It even comes with a tutorial feature to guide you in quickly mastering its creative capabilities.
The DJ2GO2 is lightweight and portable so you can easily haul it off to your gigs and parties.
- Features a club-style design similar to that of the more serious and advanced gear such as the CDJ-2000NXS2 or the DM-900NXS2.
- Equipped with a built-in soundcard for easy plug-and-play connectivity.
- Comes with free licensed Rekordbox DJ software.
- Has all the bells and whistles of a pro-grade D controller or CDJs.
- Compatible with both iOS and macOS.
- Does not have four-track buttons.
- Does not feature master temp buttons.
Numark iDJ Pro
The Numark iDJ Pro is uniquely built to help you fully leverage the power of the iPad.
This is a professional DJ controller that expands the interface and gives you seamless integration with other iPad DJ apps for a mind-blowing DJing experience.
It has a sleek brushed-aluminum casing that encloses all the professional controls and bells and whistles for great musical creativity.
- This is a uniquely built iPad controller that gives you the full DJ experience.
- Get seamless iTunes integration once you dock your iPad.
- Ships ready to launch with its professional microphone along with external device inputs.
- It smoothly integrates your iPad’s touchscreen and processing power into its DJ control surface.
- Core MIDI compatibility.
- You can wirelessly stream via iPad to Bluetooth speakers.
- Not quite scaleable.
Last update on 2021-04-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API