It’s a well-known fact that every music producer has a specific list of favorite software that they like and can be seen through the music they produce.
This is more and more becoming a particularly distinctive style to musicians and the producing elite had been able to transform these styles to their very own signatures in music.
This same principle of modern times applies to an electronic music producer as well.
Hence, this article covers the 15 highly rated soft synths for electronic music producers.
All 15 of the synths described below have had good expert reviews and customer satisfaction in the music field was also high when compared to others.
Each of their tasks and objectives may differ from one another, so it is highly recommended to have a thorough read through every plugin.
- 15 optimized oscillators
- Over 80 high-quality effects
- AHD, Analog ADSR, Attack Decay, DAHDSR, Drunk, LFO, Multi & Step Envelope
- Micro Tuner, Chorder, Harmonizer, Strum simulator, MIDI Player
- Huge factory library presets to start with
This is the new kid in the block which is turning heads.
The specialty of the falcon is that the plugin does more than what is expected to be done, from sampling to FX down to building sounds from scratch.
Also, this product can help the producer in many ways in very high quality.
It is also equipped with various effects and a good blend of presets for beginners.
Analog Lab (Arturia)
- Over 5000 sounds from some of the best musicians in the industry
- A built-in multi-mode available for creating customized layers splits and adding effects
- Parameters can be mapped easily to other MIDI controllers
- Standalone or plug-in operation (VST, VST3, AU, AAX)
- Features the additional option to find and recall the favorite tracks based on the usage.
Although the ‘Analog Lab’ is not technically a synth, it is a very useful collection to have due to the sounds it generates.
The user can come up with endless possibilities with new sound by using this software which is the main reason it ranks high among the others.
This could be easily compared to a room that’s full of synths and at times, it even feels real as well.
- 85 specially designed wavetables
- Has the ability to route any of the oscillator’s signals directly to the synthesizer’s output
- Two-step sequencer modes
- Several voices can be triggered by a single note
- Over 1300 production-ready sounds included.
This particular synthesizer does justice to its name.
It had created a massive impact in the music production arena with modern and powerful sounds coupled with the sounds of the previous generations which also enables the producers to experiment with the sounds of both the past and the present.
The product also has a huge number of patches available and has some new and cool features as well.
Nexus 2 (Refx)
- The starter version comes with over 1500 presets
- Includes octave and note transposition
- Velocity modulation
- Assign up to four FX
- Dedicated vibrato section
The nexus comes as software which greatly helps producers and audio engineers in their recording studios in making the production process move faster and swiftly.
However, the downside to this software is that the extra libraries which include the best sounds come with a price that usually ranges from $60 to $70.
Having said that, it is a good and important software to have as a part of your setup.
Serum (Xfer Records)
- Realtime Wavetable manipulation
- Advanced Unison
- Flangers, Phasers, and Comb filters
- High-quality sound, visual and creative workflow-oriented interface
- FM/AM/RM/Oscillator Sync
The software enables some high-quality sounds.
The beginners, as well as the experts, would find this synth interesting given its advanced and accurate modulation system which includes options such as the FM, AM and the RM.
Though it takes some time to master this software, there would be a definite reward for the effort.
Spire (Reveal Sound)
- 9x unison voices on each oscillator
- A huge array of available Patches and Presets
- Shaper/Decimator, Phaser/Vowel, Chorus/Flanger, Delay, Reverb
- XO-Comp (Multiband Compressor) and 3-band EQ
- Complex arpeggios and bass sequences
Although the plugin looks easy to master, it does some good work and happens to be a very powerful plugin.
Armed with a very simple interface, it comes with a collection of presets and sound banks which has a bit of everything from everywhere.
When joined everything together, the plugin becomes an efficient system which is also very easy to use.
Omnisphere 2 (Spectrasonics)
- Wavetable Synthesis – Each Waveform is now a Morphing Wavetable
- Currently comes with 12,000 sounds out of the box
- Note transposition for step seq-style patterns
- 25 New FX Units built-in
- Sound Match™ feature instantly locates any related sounds in the library
This plugin had made a massive impact on the world of soft synths with its features and efficiency.
This is also renowned for the very versatile range of uses this plugin offers along with being a high-quality product.
However, this system also has a downside in taking more space and sometimes being overpowering.
So, extreme care and caution are highly recommended.
Sylenth1 (Lennar Digital)
- 4 alias-free unison oscillators, which generate analog shaped waveforms
- Play up to 512 voices simultaneously
- 4 filter stages with nonlinear saturation incorporated
- 2 ADSR envelopes and 2 LFO’s
- 7 professional quality sound effects and an arpeggiator
This synth has a collection of Patches and it has the potential of building the complete tracks only by using this plugin.
Aided with multiple channels, the system is very fast and intuitive which makes a big impact on working quickly and efficiently.
However, the later upgrades have severely downgraded this plugin with its new features.
But, the availability of sound banks rectifies this issue to a certain extent.
- Up to 16x unison per oscillator
- 12-slot modulation matrix, 2 targets per slot
- 2 multimode filters (LP, HP, BP, BR or Peak)
- Drag & drop modulation assignment
- 7 quality effects, rearrange in any order
This is a well-built software with a huge range of sounds with a decent soundbank.
The features look very promising and the interface is easier to work with.
This could also be taken as a replacement for the Sylenth1 and could be also used as a secondary unit to be taken as a backup.
Z3ta+ 2 (Cakewalk)
- 14 continuously variable dual-stage filter types
- 6 Powerful LFOs for individual or universal control
- Straightforward Mod Matrix and Arpeggio tools
- Drag-and-drop FX in any order
- 7-band graphic EQ with variable band settings
This synth is hugely underrated but has lots of things to offer.
Although lots of producers opt-out of the Z3ta+ 2 synth to an extent where the name even isn’t heard of, this synth does a far better job than most of the overused software in the present market.
Though being criticized a lot, Cakewalk had managed to create a product where one can feel at home while using it.
Loom (Air Music Technology)
- 30 editable sound modules; freely combinable in 10 cells
- 350+ patches programmed by legendary sound designers
- Smart Sound Randomizer to quickly design unique sounds
- Up to 512 harmonic partials per patch
- Editable Spectral Distortion and Spectral Modulation controls
This is a synth of its kind. The surface looks daunting, and the production process always seems to be on a pause while working with this software.
But with time, there is no doubt that the users would appreciate the uniqueness this synth brings to the market.
Adding to this, it also offers over 350 patches along with a unique challenge to music producers.
- 1200 presets to get going
- Zero-delay-feedback filters
- Multithreading support for modern CPUs
- Mix & match, send any oscillator model through any filters
- Scope with 2 knobs frequency and scale
This synth is the kind where the system requirements of the PC need to be on point for it to work.
If the requirements are not up to the standard, the plugin would make the whole device slower.
But the plus side is that if the requirements are met, the software does a fantastic job of bringing some high-quality sounds to the tracks.
Although not being a must-have plugin, this would do well when something special is needed.
- 2×10 Oscillator Engines, plus Sub Osc
- Morph Crossfader allows for the morphing of all continuous parameters
- 8-Voice VA-Sync, FM, Transformer, Wavetable
- Arpeggiator, Intonation engine, Scale Quantizer
- 4x Sequencers for all kinds of Gates and CV’s
The latest synth to be added to the market.
Although it would take more time to reveal its true colors, the future looks quite bright to this plugin.
The software offers a smooth sound along with a user-friendly interface which makes the user glued to the screen and experiment more and more.
Iris 2 (iZotope)
- Explore 11 GB of audio samples, all provided as 24-bit WAV
- Import your audio files to craft truly one-of-a-kind sounds.
- Draw your unique filter shapes and isolate specific frequencies
- Morph and visualize shape changes with real-time animation
- Quickly access and assign macro controls for easy customization of your sound
An experimental based plugin which goes against the traditional standards, but does a pretty good job than most of its colleagues.
The plugin also offers a big variety of audio samples and some unique filter shapes which cannot be seen in most of the other plugins.
Although the interface isn’t a traditional one, it does a better job of experimenting with fun and creativity.
All in all, the futuristic look it gives offers more inspiration than many other traditional plugins.
Wiggle (2Sense Audio)
- 8 free drawing LFO/Envelope and 4 specialized modulators
- 7 built-in effects can also be modulated
- Morphing between 4 variations of a preset captured on the Morph Pad
- Interactive Guide
- colour-coded FM Matrix
The newest entry to this list and the most versatile.
The software offers top-level morphing capabilities which means it paves the for some interesting fresh sounds which can be experimented upon.
Along with 7 built-in effects and a very interactive guide, the user interface appears to be very efficient and user friendly.
Last update on 2021-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API