If you are a certified audiophile, you probably already know what a subwoofer is.
For those new to the art of high-quality audio, a subwoofer is a vital part of any sound system.
A surround sound home theater wouldn’t be complete without one, and listening to music the way it’s supposed to be listened to would not be possible.
The primary purpose of having a subwoofer is to enhance bass and take the weight off of your other speakers so that they can focus more on producing the high and mid-range frequencies.
All right, let’s get to the article already!
A subwoofer allows your listening experience to go full circle.
When you listen to music on your phone speakers, you cannot really hear the bass and the low-end too much, especially if you listen to a concert.
Regular speakers and phone speakers would often emit the low-end, making the music sound incomplete.
If you hook your phone to your home speakers, you will be able to hear the bass or cello.
Adding a subwoofer will only enhance your listening experience further.
It also enhances your movie night and intensifies your home theater experience, allowing you to immerse yourself in the movie you are watching.
High-quality audio plays a significant role in improving your watching experience.
Are you convinced that you need a subwoofer?
If you are still on the fence about buying one, I prepared a list of the best budget subwoofers.
They are affordable and make an excellent addition to your speaker system.
It is hard to find a single subwoofer that would work well with your existing sound system.
Some of the best subwoofers can be very expensive, and you will have to spend a sum of money just to get the sound you are going for.
Fortunately, there are some gems you can find like the items I included in this list.
They are budget-friendly, and most of them can compete with some of the higher-end models.
Remember, because these speakers are merely budget-friendly options, it will not have everything you are looking for.
I divided the choices into different categories that will make it easier for you to choose.
10 Best Budget Subwoofers of 2020
Let’s see our contestants:
#1 Klipsch Synergy Sub-100:
Best Overall Budget Subwoofer
- 10-inch high-performance subwoofer
- 300 Watts of dynamic power
- Sleek style with copper accents
- 32Hz-120Hz +/-3dB frequency response
The Klipsch Synergy Sun-100 is the best choice overall.
It sounds incredible, and it is highly affordable, giving you the best value and the bang for your buck.
The design looks stunning. The black case and copper accents scream elegance.
It would integrate well with your existing speaker system thanks to its convenient RCA connectivity.
This 300-watt subwoofer sounds really good.
Plus, it is deafening. Some user reviews say that their neighbors can hear the bass on all sides, making it an excellent choice if you are a fan of deep, loud bass.
This option is suitable for listening to music, and it works surprisingly well with watching movies as well.
The fight scenes from action films will sound way more intense.
This budget-friendly subwoofer works for almost any purpose, and it does the job pretty well.
- It comes with several input options so it can integrate easily with your existing speaker system.
- This highly affordable subwoofer sounds way too good for its price.
- It sports a sleek and elegant design for a very sophisticated look.
- It includes an aluminum diaphragm compression driver that produces crystal clear notes.
- It includes a linear travel suspension that minimizes distortion.
- It produces a tight musical bass, making it excellent for movies and music.
- It can produce up to 300 watts of dynamic power.
- This subwoofer is really loud but not deafening.
- Sometimes, you need to crank up the volume to feel the low-end.
- It may be too small for other users with large surround sound systems.
#2 Monoprice 9723 Subwoofer:
Best Budget All-Around Subwoofer
- 150 watts RMS peaking at 200 watts
- 50 to 250 Hz frequency response
- 12″ high-performance sub
- Active subwoofer
This powered 12-inch subwoofer can produce incredible audio, thanks to its 150 watts of power.
Integrating it with your existing speaker system will lend a bass sound with a frequency response of 50 to 250 Hz, which will make your heart thump like ever before.
The Monoprice 9723 subwoofer is excellent for any purpose.
Whether you want to enjoy watching a movie in your home theater or listen to music the way it’s supposed to be listened to, this subwoofer can make a significant difference.
This subwoofer has a low-pass crossover filter that is fully adjustable.
It has multiple input options so you can quickly connect it to any existing speaker system.
It also comes with gain and frequency knobs that allow you to adjust the filter and bass intensity to your preference.
The bass sound coming from this sub perfectly balances with your surround speakers.
Because of all the advantages of this sub, it makes it the best all-around budget subwoofer on this list.
It will provide you with listening satisfaction without spending too many dollars.
- The Monoprice 9723 comes with multiple input options that will ensure the user that it works with almost any surround sound system.
- It comes with an “auto power” feature that will turn on the device whenever there is an audio signal. You also can turn off this feature if you want to turn the power manually.
- It can transmit audio and pair with two different Bluetooth devices at the same time.
- Some reviews state that it produces a buzzing sound.
- Some reviews also state that it does not work with modern devices.
- The volume needs to be at a high level to enjoy the bass.
#3 Klipsch R-10SWi:
Best Budget Wireless Subwoofer
- 10” Black sub with copper accents
- 4Ghz wireless transmitter
This 10-inch subwoofer is an all-digital amplifier that offers a more than decent sound.
It is front-firing, meaning that it blows sound waves where it is facing like a standard speaker.
The best thing about this sub is its hi-fi pre-paired wireless system.
It is equipped with a low-pass filter, phase control, and it is portable enough to take anywhere and pair with your Bluetooth speakers.
It is light and durable, and it comes with a removable front grill that is extremely durable.
The wireless transmitter is pre-paired, meaning you do not have to spend minutes trying to establish a connection.
The wireless technology works great with no latency at all.
The Klipsch R-10swi offers an incredibly low-frequency response, making it an excellent choice.
It is a subwoofer that works how a subwoofer should work at a very affordable price.
Plus, this sub is wireless and portable, making it great for people always on the go.
- It is exceptionally light and portable.
- It comes with a built-in all-digital amplifier for accurate frequency response.
- It comes with extra features such as a low pass crossover and phase control.
- The hi-fi wireless connectivity provides incredible sound anywhere in your house.
- It provides a low-frequency response with minimal distortion and clipping.
- The wireless adapter is a little bit flimsy.
- Some parts feel a little cheap.
- The sound can be too distorted at times.
- Some people say that the wireless receiver fails to keep a good connection, but not in my case.
#4 Boss Audio Systems CXX8 Car Subwoofer:
Best Subwoofer for Your Car
- 49Hz frequency response
- Made from polypropylene
- 9 x 9 x 4.3 inches
- 600 watts
The Boss Audio Systems CXX8 Car Subwoofer will make car rides and road trips much more enjoyable.
With its 600 watts of power, this subwoofer can produce a loud and deep bass sound.
It will provide you and your passengers the entertainment you need, especially on long drives.
This subwoofer’s cone is made out of durable polypropylene that offers outstanding audio.
It also has voice coils built to withstand high temperatures, making it a perfect choice if you drive or park in hot areas.
The Boss CXX8 is built to withstand and endure everyday use.
I can’t stress how great a job the manufacturers did to make this subwoofer one of the most durable and long-lasting car speakers in the market.
The material they used to build this subwoofer is made to absorb energy and produce outstanding audio quality in any climate.
It has a 49 Hz frequency response.
It has dimensions of 9 x 9 x 4.3 inches, and it would fit most car audio systems.
The Boss CXX8 is the best car subwoofer that you can get at an affordable price.
- The CXX8 is made with polypropylene and equipped with durable rubber fittings, making it one of the sturdiest options.
- It can withstand extremely high temperatures without getting worn, thanks to its voice coils.
- It can produce an excellent bass sound.
- The size is perfectly suitable for almost any car.
- Some reviews point out that it is not as durable as promised.
- Some of the soldering points need to be re-soldered after some time or after improper handling.
#5 Pioneer SW-8MKS:
Best Subwoofer for Listening to Music
- 8″ long-throw subwoofer
- 100 watts
- 12-3/16 x 14-3/16 x 12-3/16-inch dimensions
- Allows for lower frequencies
If you are not happy with your home stereo system when listening to music, you may need to heighten the intensity a little bit by adding the Pioneer SW-8MKS to your speaker collection.
The Pioneer SW-8MKS is equipped with a powerful internal amp that provides an incredible bass sound at any volume level.
Unlike other cheap subwoofers, you don’t have to crank the volume too high to enjoy it.
Compared to other subwoofers, the SW-8MKS supports the lowest frequencies, making it excellent for playing EDM and other electrical music genres with deep sub-bass.
It is also excellent for allowing the bass to stand out but not overpower the higher frequencies.
This subwoofer has an accurate sound that gives a great listening experience that is perfectly suitable for music lovers.
It is equipped with crossovers and phase that you can adjust to mix well with your existing speakers.
This subwoofer can bring out the true essence of any song you listen to and allows you to enjoy music the way it is supposed to.
If you love music and want to listen to music in the best way possible, the Pioneer SW-8MKS is a perfect subwoofer for you.
- It has a frequency range of 38 Hz to 150 Hz.
- It allows for lower frequencies and brings out the low-end more accurately.
- You can apply the right level adjustments to blend in perfectly with your speakers.
- It is equipped with a powerful internal amplifier.
- The connection inputs are conveniently placed to fit in with most speaker systems.
- There is a slight hum when plugged in.
- It is not as durable as most models.
#6 Polk Audio PSW10:
Best Subwoofer for Home Theater Setup
- 100 watts
- Built-in 50-watt RMS amp
- 40 to 160 Hz frequency response
The Polk Audio PSW10 is a 10-inch powered subwoofer that provides a deep bass sound, which is ideal for listening to music.
Still, it makes a better choice for watching movies.
It provides an excellent low-end bass sound that makes horror and action movies sound great, especially if you hook it up to your 5.1 Dolby speaker system. With this subwoofer, you better get ready to experience surround sound like never before.
The size of this subwoofer, however, is too small for large home theaters.
It will be ideal if your entertainment center is a little on the smaller side. I would recommend this subwoofer and partner it up with a soundbar or powered bookshelf speakers.
The Polk Audio PSW10 has a built-in RMS amp that brings out an accurate bass sound.
The frequencies are low but do not produce too much distortion or humming.
If you want a mid-sized speaker for your small home theater, the Polk Audio PSW10 is one of your best choices.
Because it is made by a well-trusted brand, you can never go wrong.
- This subwoofer is pretty powerful for its size, thanks to its built-in RMS amp.
- It is perfect for home theaters and entertainment systems.
- It is a real space saver.
- It produces an accurate bass sound with a fantastic low-frequency response.
- It does not produce distortion, producing a close to perfect bass sound.
- It may sound good, but it is not that durable.
- It produces humming even when it is turned off.
- Some users say that their unit has stopped working after a few months.
#7 Polk Audio HTS 12:
Best Powered Subwoofer
- 12” heart-thumping subwoofer
- 25 to 125 Hz frequency response
- 460 watts
The Polk Audio HTS 12 is one of the most potent subs I came across.
It is not exactly the most affordable model on this list, but undoubtedly the most powerful. Unlike the PSW10, the PSW505 is superior in build-quality as well as sound.
Thanks to its size and 460 watts of power, this subwoofer is all about delivering the best quality and performance.
If you are willing to go just a little over your budget, this product will not let you down.
The HTS 12 is an all-around subwoofer that can produce an accurate sound, making it excellent for listening to music, gaming, and watching movies.
The deep bass it can produce is ideal for listening to classical music and orchestras in full range.
It is also perfect for EDM, house, and other bass-driven music genres.
This subwoofer works the best with other Polk Audio speakers, but it can pair well with almost any speaker brand.
With the use of its Phase Toggle Switch, you can run it with multiple subwoofers.
The Polk Audio HTS 12 is the best powered sub on the list for one reason; it is powerful and loud, but it can produce a pleasant sound.
- It is durable, and it sports a sleek design.
- It is a tremendous all-around subwoofer that is suitable for the purpose.
- You can run it with multiple subwoofers and speakers.
- It is loud and powerful.
- It may be a little expensive for a budget subwoofer.
#8 Planet Audio AC10D:
Best Quality Car Subwoofers
- 10-inch car subwoofer
- Polypropylene material
- 24 x 16 x 14-inch dimensions
Planet Audio has been around for more than a decade.
However, it is still relevant because of its affordable price and decent quality.
This subwoofer is an excellent 10-inch sub that will fit most cars.
It does not take up too much space, but it does provide 1500 watts of power.
You can get decent quality sound without breaking bank if you opt for this Planet Audio sub.
It makes an excellent choice for your car if you want to make your long road trips more exciting.
You can listen to music in a full range of frequencies if you upgrade your system and add this sub.
Because this subwoofer is super cheap, you can’t really compare it to high-end options.
However, even if they are reasonable, it is the best car subwoofer you can get for its price.
Because they are so cheap, you can always upgrade to something better in the future if you are not satisfied.
With that being said, buying the Planet Audio AC10D is the best dinner-for-one money you will ever spend for a quick and effective audio quality upgrade for your vehicle.
- This subwoofer is super cheap but effective.
- It has dual voice coils.
- It is made of durable materials.
- It has a maximum power of 1500 watts.
- It can produce a deep bass sound.
- It consumes a lot of power.
- You cannot compare it to high-end speakers, but the price is reasonable for its quality.
#9 BIC America F12:
Best 12-inch Subwoofer
- 12-inch subwoofer
- 475 watts of power
- 25 to 200 Hz frequency response
If you want a powerful but affordable subwoofer, the BIC America F12 is an excellent choice.
It is a 475-watt front-firing subwoofer with a built-in amp for extra bass and power to fill the whole room.
It uses the patented BIC “Venturi Port” that helps in eliminating port noise for a better listening experience.
It includes the necessary inputs for your existing surround speakers.
Because the manufacturers have so much faith in this product, it comes with a 5-year warranty.
It is also equipped with adjustable volume level controls and flexible crossover features.
The BIC America F12 is worthy of being on this list because of its excellent sound quality and power.
It is suitable for all your needs, whether you are listening to music or watching movies.
- It has a magnetic shield that makes the subwoofer a lot more durable.
- It comes with a 5-year warranty.
- It can produce powerful low frequencies without distortion.
- The patented Venturi Port makes works great for canceling unnecessary noise.
- It is not big enough for larger rooms.
- The fuse tends to blow sooner, depending on usage.
#10 Rockville RBG15S:
Best 15-inch Subwoofer
- 1600 watts of active power
- 15-inch subwoofer
- 3-inch voice coil
- 70-ounce magnet
The Rockville RBG15S is a beast.
This 15-inch speaker packs 1600 watts of power to produce accurate bass sounds ideal for listening to music, gaming, and home movies.
Thanks to its built-in 400-watt amp, this subwoofer is probably the most powerful subwoofer on this list.
There are not a lot of bad things you can say about this subwoofer.
It has a frequency response of 29 to 150 Hz, and it has three voice coils.
It produces an all-digital output that boosts the low frequencies.
It has an LED indicator for power, and it is straightforward to operate.
It has adjustable knows for levels and phase control, and it has a low-pass filter, allowing it to blend well with the higher frequencies.
The built-in carry handles make this subwoofer more portable, allowing you to carry it around if you want to move it.
It is the best 15-inch subwoofer you will get at an incredibly affordable price.
- The Rockville RBG15S sports a stylish look and a high-quality build.
- It does not overheat, protecting the fuse from blowing up after hours of use.
- It comes with multiple input and output options for easy integration with your existing system.
- It is equipped with a fan that cools the unit to avoid overheating.
- It is a bit heavy.
If you are not sure about what you need to watch out for when looking for the best budget subwoofer for you, you should make your decisions based on these certain factors:
: Subwoofers are not only supposed to be authoritative; they should be durable and sturdy as well.
Bass sounds produce much more vibration, and the wires should be intact and built with quality to withstand everyday use and abuse.
You also want to make sure the case is sturdy too.
You do not want any loose screws falling out because of the excess vibration.
Budget-friendly subwoofers should not suffer in quality.
: On this list, you will find some options that are excellent for any purpose, and you will discover subwoofers that works excellent for a specific purpose.
Make sure you choose one that will suit your needs.
: When choosing a subwoofer, the wattage measures how loud it is, so make sure you choose one with a higher wattage if you want it loud.
However, watt ratings do make an excellent subwoofer.
The primary difference between a front-firing and bottom-firing subwoofer is the direction of the driver.
A front-firing sub produces sound from the front going towards the course of the listener.
On the contrary, a bottom-firing sub blows sound to the floor, creating a more heart-pounding vibration and intense bass sound.
If you are a fan of bass thumping in your chest, your best choice is a bottom-firing subwoofer.
They work great for listening to music, especially bass-oriented musical genres.
This type of subwoofer also works great for home theater, especially if you are a fan of extreme surround sound.
Each of the subwoofers that I recommended on the list above makes excellent choices based on what they are good at.
Still, if you want something more well-rounded, you can always upgrade to a high-end option in the future.
These budget-friendly subwoofers may be cheaper than other options, but they can still compete with high-end choices.
Of course, they have some drawbacks, but they do possess unique features that make them the best in their respective categories.
I chose these recommendations carefully and made sure that they offer the best value based on their price.
I hope this article helped you decide which subwoofer will fit your sound system.
I hope you enjoy listening to music and watching movies with your newly enhanced sound system.
Last update on 2021-07-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API